1140 Columbia Avenue – Circa 1802-1807/Circa 1826
“Abbeville,” also known as Mt. Pleasant, is a historic home located in Lancaster Township. The original home began as a small stone building sometime between 1755-1756, and is a two-story, stuccoed stone section measuring 20 feet by 17 feet.
In 1790, John Stoner, a prosperous miller, enlarged the home to a 2 1/2-story, five bay by three bay Georgian style dwelling built in front of the earlier section. In 1826, at the age of 50 years old, Langdon Cheves purchased the house and two side wings were added on either side of the 1790 section. He used it as his summer retreat.
The home was operated as a private school from 1835 until the late 1840’s; later owned by Hager department store family.
Also on the property are a contributing smokehouse (c. 1825), stable (c. 1875), and carriage house (c. 1875). It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
For more information on the origins of Abbeville Mansion, click here.