Pennsylvania instituted a law called the Covered Devices Recycling Act which prohibits residents from disposing of covered devices and e-waste as trash. These items are also not allowed to be placed in recycle bins. The law bans haulers from collecting them. Residents must take these items to an approved facility.
Lancaster County Solid Waste Management Authority
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
1299 Harrisburg Pike (near the Park City Mall)
Covered devices include only the following items:
- Desktop computers
- Computer peripherals, including a keyboard, mouse, printer and speakers
E-waste includes only the following items:
- Photo cameras
- Video cameras
- Cell phones and smart phones
- Cell phone peripherals (chargers, batteries, Bluetooth earpiece, air cards, clips, cases)
- DVD and VCR players
- MP3 players and iPods
- Portable electronic game players
- Video game consoles
- Stereos and stereo peripherals (CD players, turntables, amplifiers, speakers). No wooden speakers
Covered devices and e-waste will be accepted from residents and businesses for FREE at the HHW Facility, with the following restrictions:
Limit of 10 total covered devices per customer, per day (ex: 10 televisions, 10 computers and peripherals, or any combination up to 10 total covered devices). All electronics must be intact or they will not be accepted.
Visit www.lcswma.org or call for more information on recycling covered devices and e-waste.