1608 Marietta Avenue – Circa 1812, Rebuilt after 1927
“Hershey Farmstead” (Conestoga House) is a two and one-half story, seven bay stone farmhouse, rebuilt after 1927 in the Colonial Revival style by James Hale Steinman, owner of Lancaster Newspapers and WGAL. The main entry has fluted pilasters and scrolled pediment. Five original bays of the house are scored stucco, two eastern bays are brick. Mostly twelve over twelve sash, flanking wing and polygonal bay.
The Steinmans purchased the land, including the original house and several outbuildings, in 1927. Shorly after, Frank Everts, a Lancaster architect, commissioned to design extensive additions and modifications, creating Conestoga House as it appears today. Conestoga House was home to the Steinman family for over 50 years, even after Colonel Steinman’s death in 1962. As a part of his legacy, the house and grounds were incorporated as part of the James Hale Steinman Conestoga House Foundation.