900 East King Street – Established 1799
“Lancaster County House of Employment,” also known as Old County Hospital Building No. 1, is a historic building. It was built in 1799-1801, and is a two-story, 15 bay wide stuccoed stone building. It has a full width front porch with Tuscan order columns, added about 1875-1876. The same renovation added Gothic Revival style details. It has been in continuous ownership by Lancaster County since its construction. Owned by the county since 1799, and the second oldest hospital building in the United Sates. Carpenters were William Hensel and George Brungard of Lancaster; Masons were Charles and Thomas Wilson of Chester County.
It was built as a poor house and used as the House of Employment until 1876, when it was converted to a hospital. It later housed county offices.