1025 Marietta Avenue – Established 1906
The “J. Calvin Shutte House” is a three-bay, three-story brick house characterized by its balanced symmetry. Like the eclectic turn-of-the-century Victorian styles, this house reflects an Edwardian eclecticism that borrowed from the Tudor Revival style, based on small English manor houses, while making use of uniquely American details and Colonial Revival ornamentation.
The house’s central entry porch, with paired fluted columns, is flanked by two cross gables containing two-story polygonal bay windows with crenelated roof lines. The windows and doors are framed with sandstone trim, and the paired end chimneys feature sandstone caps. There is a side porch on the east elevation and a porte cochere on the west façade.
John Calvin Schutte was born in Pennsylvania in 1857. He married Stella Selinda Steele (born 1866) of Lancaster County, PA. This union produced four children, Anna M., Charles Edward, Henry Lewis and James Walter. Charles Edward, the second born child, would later form the Charles Schutte Body Company around 1918.