1631 Millersville Pike – Established 1879
The “Philip Bausman House” (Bausman Mansion) is a two and one-half story, three bay brick dwelling in the Late Victorian style. It includes two pedimented dormers, modillioned cornice, 1879 datestone, corbelled chimneys, porch with paried tuscan columns, two story polygonal bay on side. The mansion was built by John Bausman for his son Philip, an inventor. Much of the original interior woodwork remains.
John Bausman, Philip’s father, was born in 1780, in Freilaubersheim, in the Palatinate, Germany. His parents were named Henry and Barbara Bausman. He emigrated to America in 1802, and settled in Lancaster County. In 1805 he married Elizabeth Peters and raised a numerous and very respectable family. He was a shoemaker, by trade, and fought in the battle of 1812.