Lancaster Township Ordinance No. 02 of 1992 states: (to print out a complete copy of the ordinance (Chapter 96), click HERE)
- IT IS UNLAWFUL TO ALLOW DOGS TO RUN AT LARGE. No owner will permit any dog to be upon any public property or the property of another person unless the dog is accompanied by or under the immediate control of the owner.
- RESTRAIN ANIMALS FROM DEFECATING ON PUBLIC OR PRIVATE PROPERTY. No owner will permit any dog or other animal to defecate upon any public property or the property of another person unless the owner immediately removes the defecation and disposes of it in a sanitary manner. This doesn’t apply to guide dogs accompanying a blind person or otherwise assisting a person with a disability.
- DUTY TO KEEP DOG SECURELY TIED OR PENNED. The owner of every dog will keep the dog penned in a dwelling or other enclosure, or securely tied in such a manner that the dog cannot walk or run on any public property or the property of another person.
- DUTY TO KEEP DOG UNDER CONTROL. Every owner of a dog will keep the dog under sufficient control so as to prevent the dog from entering upon the public property or the property of another person without that person’s consent.
- PENALTIES. Any person convicted by any District Justice of violating the provisions of this ordinance will pay a fine according to the following schedule, plus the cost of prosecution:
a) First Offense: $25.00, b) Second Offense: $50.00, c) Third Offense: $100.00, d) Fourth & Each Successive Offense: Up to $600.00. In default of payments, the violator will be imprisoned in Lancaster County Prison for a period of not more than 10 days.
If you encounter a dog whose owner is in violation of the ordinance above, a persistent, nuisance barking dog, or a vicious dog that is a threat to you or other animals, residents should call the Manheim Township Police non-emergency # (717) 664-1180.
For more information concerning dog regulations, contact the Lancaster Township Planning/Zoning Department at (717) 291-1213, or email Tom Daniels email@example.com or Gretchen Smith firstname.lastname@example.org.