Lancaster Township Supervisors enacted and/or modified ordinances providing for the “declaration of snow emergencies” and “designated snow emergency routes.” The ordinances (Chapter 263. Vehicles and Traffic; Article VII. Snow and Ice Emergencies) define the parking regulations, travel information, and potential penalties regarding Snow Emergency Routes during declared Snow Emergencies.
- § 263-56. Declaration of snow and ice emergency: In order to facilitate the movement of traffic and to combat the hazards of snow/ice on the snow emergency routes, the Board of Supervisors may declare a snow and ice emergency. Information on the existence as well as termination of a snow emergency may be given by the township through radio, newspaper or other available media.
- § 263-57. Parking and driving restrictions: It shall be unlawful, at any time during the continuance of the emergency, for any person to park a vehicle or to allow that vehicle to remain parked anywhere on any snow emergency route designated, or to drive any vehicle on any snow emergency route unless that vehicle is equipped with snow tires or chains.
- § 263-58. Snow Emergency Routes: The following streets or parts of streets are hereby designated as snow emergency routes. There shall be no parking, standing, etc., during any declared snow emergency.
1. Abbeyville Road: Schoolhouse Rd to Columbia Ave 5. North President Avenue: Columbia Ave to Hillcrest Rd 9. Wheatland Avenue: River Dr to Race Ave
2. Bean Hill Road 6. Race Avenue: Columbia Ave to Woods Ave 10. Wilson Drive: Columbia Ave to Hillcrest Rd
3. Jackson Drive: Columbia Ave to River Dr 7. River Drive: Jackson Dr to Hillcrest Rd 11. Woods Avenue: from Race Ave to North President Ave
4. Marietta Avenue: River Dr to Race Ave 8. Wabank Road: Millersville Rd (741) to Charles Rd
The following cul-de-sacs or dead-end roads listed are hereby designated as snow emergency routes. There shall be no parking, no standing, etc., during any declared emergency.
1. Barton Drive 7. Drummers Lane 13. Maple Avenue 19. Rock Ledge Court 25. Westmore Way
2. Bentley Summit 8. Elmshire Drive 14. North Field Drive 20. St. Paul Circle 26. Wildflower Lane
3. Cold Stream Drive 9. Fairfax Drive 15. North Pier Drive 21. Spring Ridge Lane 4. Crossfield Drive 10. Grafton Circle 16. Pickford Drive 22. Stockbridge Circle 5. Deep Hollow Lane 11. Green Spring Circle 17. Rabbit Hill Lane 23. Townsend Court 6. Devon Drive 12. Greythorne Road 18. River Drive 24. Turnbridge Drive
- Snow Emergency Penalties: If at any time during a snow emergency a person parks or allows a vehicle to remain parked on a snow emergency route, or a person drives on a snow emergency route without snow tires or chains, that person shall be guilty of a violation and penalties will be enforced.