Lancaster Township has a mandatory recycling program. Residents are required, by township ordinance, to separate the materials decscribed for special collection. No recyclable materials are permitted in trash containers.
* Recyclable materials will be picked up each week on the same day that trash is collected. Although recycling pickup is available every week, making the program very convenient, you are encouraged to put out your recycling bin only when it is full.
* This is a co-mingled recycling program. Cans, glass, plastics and paper, etc. do not have to be separated by color or type. Place all of these items together in one container.
Recycle bins can be purchased at the township office. If you wish to buy your own container, please be sure it is clearly marked Recycling so it isn’t mistaken by the trash hauler and thrown in with the trash.
Curbside Recycling Guidelines
Paper/Cardboard: Breakdown/flatten boxes and put in your recycling container!
Office paper Mail/Newsprint/Flyers
*Printer/Copier paper *Magazines, pamphlets
*Colored paper, Post-its *Glossy Paper, Posters
*Envelopes *Junk Mail
*Manila envelopes & Folders *Newspaper
Cardboard & Paperboard Other Paper
*Cardboard boxes *Paperback books & Telephone books
*Paperboard boxes such as cereal, & tissue *Hardbound books without cover
*corrugataed cardboard (must fit in recycle container) *Paper Bags
*Food & Beverage bottles & jars *Aluminum cans (e.g. soda cans)
*Steel/Tin cans & lids
Plastic -Only bottles, jugs & jars with screw-top lids!
*Soda, watar & Juice Bottles *Ketchup, mustard & relish bottles
*Milk & iced tea Jugs *Shampoo & Conditioner bottles
*Peanut butter, Jelly and sauce jars *Detergent, soap & fabric softner bottles
Recycle plastic bags, bubble wrap, bread wrappers, paper towel & tissue paper wrappers and dry clean bags at your local grocery store
* Glass containers that are recyclable are clear or colored bottles and jars. The glass should be rinsed and the lids should be removed and thrown in the trash. It is not necessary to remove labels. Place glass contianers in the reycling bin. Lightbulbs, window and auto glass, drinking glasses and cookware are not recyclable.
* Aluminum and all other food and beverage cans (which are made of steel, tin or a combination of metals) also should be rinsed. You should NOT crush any cans. Put cans into the recycling bin. Other aluminum products such as foil and pie plates ARE NOT recyclable.
* Plastic bottles, jugs and jars that are recyclable are designated with #1 through #7 (narrow and screw-top containers only, some open face plastic containers such as butter tubs are designated with a #, however, they are not narrow at the top or have a neck, these are not recyclable). Plastics should be rinsed and the lids removed. It is not necesasry to remove labels. Crush all plastics and place them in the recycling bin. Plastic tubs, coat hangers, styrofoam containers, toys, etc. are not accepted.
Fibers such as news papers, phone books, paperboard boxes, office paper, junk mail, cardboard such as tissue boxes, cereal boxes (with plastic liner removed), shoe boxes, etc. must be dry and free of food debris and other contaminating material. Shredded paper and pizza boxes are not included with the recycling. (Please see what else isn’t accepted below.) If you are placing corrugated cardboard in the container, make sure that it is cut to fit inside the recycling bin. Otherwise take it to the cardboard dumpster located at the public Works Department.
* Corrugated cardboard may be recycled. Only cardboard made of ridged material with an inner fluted lining is recyclable. If it does not fit into your recycling container, take it to the Cardboard Dumpster at the township maintenance facility, 1357 Meadowcreek Lane.
Please follow these guidelines when placing material into the Corrugated Cardboard Dumpster :
* Flatten the boxes.
* Only corrugatead cardboard….No cereal boxes, tissue boxes, shoe boxes, etc., throw these items into your recycling bin.
* Boxes must be free of food or other contaminants, i.e. no pizza or ice cream boxes, throw these items in with your trash.
* Do not leave boxes outside of the dumpster.
Common household items that ARE NOT permitted in your recycling container are as follows:
Styrofoam containers…..Styrofoam peanuts or packing…..Plastic tubs such as butter & yogurt tubs…..light bulbs…..drinking glasses…..glass cookware…..
frozen food bags…..plastic and metal coat hangers…..chip bags…..aluminum foil & pie plates…..Wax-coated paper drinking containers, such as milk cartons
& juice boxes…..plastic bags…..flower pots…..plastic toys…..pots & pans….. scrap metal…..ceramics….. food & wet waste food contaminant paper plates and
napkins…..batteries…..electronics such as computers…..hazardous or toxic product containers…microwave trays…..shredded paper…..unnumbered
If you have materials that you think may be recyclable that Lancaster Township does not pick up curbside, please visit www.earth911.com