Lancaster Township has a mandatory recycling program. Residents are required, by township ordinance, to separate the materials described below for special collection. No recyclable materials are permitted in trash containers. If you have any questions about the trash/recycle program, email Joanne Yost at email@example.com or call 291-1213 extension 301.
1. Recyclable materials will be picked up each week on the same day that trash is collected. Although this is a weekly pickup making it convenient for residents, you are encouraged to put out your recycling container only when it is full.
2. This is a co-mingled recycling program. Cans, glass, plastics and paper, etc. do not have to be separated by color or type. Place all of these items together in one container.
3. Recycle containers can be purchased at the township office at a cost of $10.00 each. If you wish to buy your own container, please be sure it is clearly marked RECYCLING so it isn’t mistaken by the trash hauler and thrown in with the trash.
Curbside Recycling Guidelines:
PAPER, PAPERBOARD & CARDBOARD* : Recycle any size, any quantity. Please break down boxes as flat as possible and put them in or next to your recycling container(s) on your pick-up day.
All sizes of cardboard boxes
- Clean pizza boxes
- Food boxes (e.g. cereal boxes with plastic liner removed & gelatin boxes)
- EMPTY paper towel & toilet paper rolls
- Paperboard packaging (e.g. tissue boxes, shoe boxes)
- Office paper (any color)
- Shredded paper (in CLEAR plastic bags)
- Newspapers & inserts
- Magazines, catalogs, & brochures
- Envelopes & junk mail
- Paper bags
- Phone books & other soft cover books
Remove all packaging (Styrofoam, peanuts, plastic bubble wrap, plastic liners, etc.)
All paper must be dry
All boxes must be free of food debris and other contaminating material
- Flatten ALL boxes
- Bundle all cardboard that does not fit into the recycling container
- Cover loose paper with heavier items to prevent it from blowing away
- If the weather forecast calls for high winds or wet weather, if possible, keep your paper recyclables until the next week. Wet paper products are difficult to process.
*Corrugated cardboard (made of ridged material with an inner fluted lining) may also be taken to the Township Maintenance Facility located at 1357 Meadowcreek Lane and deposited into the Cardboard Dumpster. Please follow the guidelines below when placing material into the Corrugated Cardboard Dumpster.
Only corrugated cardboard. No cereal boxes, tissue boxes, shoe boxes, etc.-they go into your recycling container
Flatten the boxes
- Boxes must be free of food or other contaminants
- Do not leave boxes outside of the dumpster
METAL/ALUMINUM (cans which are made of steel, tin or a combination of metals): Rinse thoroughly to remove all contaminants. It is okay to leave on labels. Do NOT crush any cans. Remove caps/lids and throw into trash.
Aluminum beverage cans (e.g. soda cans)
- Steel food & beverage cans and lids (e.g. soup/vegetable cans)
- Aerosol cans
- Paint cans (emptied or dried out)
- Products such as foil & pie plates ARE NOT recyclable.
GLASS: Rinse thoroughly to remove all contaminants. It is okay to leave on labels. Remove caps/lids and throw into trash.
Clear, brown, blue and green glass food & beverage containers
Light bulbs, window and auto glass, drinking glasses and cookware ARE NOT recyclable.
PLASTICS: #1 through #7 – All materials must be thoroughly cleaned before placing them in your recycle container. It is okay to leave on labels and neck rings. Remove caps/lids and throw into trash. Crush all plastics before placing in recycling container.
Soda, water & juice bottles
- Ketchup, mustard & relish bottles
- Milk & iced tea jugs
- Peanut butter, jelly and sauce jars
- Plastic tubs (e.g. butter & yogurt)
- Shampoo & conditioner bottles
- Detergent, soap & fabric softener bottles
- DO NOT place bags or wraps such as plastic bags, bubble wrap, bread wrappers, dry cleaner bags, etc. in the recycling container. Recycle these at your local grocery store.
UNACCEPTABLE ITEMS FOR RECYCLING – DO NOT recycle the following:
All electronics** (e.g. computers, laptops, monitors, keyboard, mouse, printer, televisions, e-readers)
- Aluminum foil
- Broken glass
- Chip bags
- Christmas lights
- Clothing hangers (metal and plastic)
- Drinking glasses
- Flower pots
- Food soiled material
- Food waste
- Frozen food bags
- Hazardous or toxic product containers
- Hose (any type)
- Light bulbs
- Microwave trays
- Needles & medical waste** (DO NOT place used needles or any other medical waste with recycling! This is a serious health hazard to everyone!)
- Packing peanuts
- Paper plates & napkins
- Paperboard juice & milk containers
- Plastic bubble wrap
- Plastic food wrappers
- Plastic grocery bags
- Plastic tableware (knives, forks, spoons, etc.)
- Plastic toys
- Pool chemicals
- Pots & pans
- Scrap metal
- Unnumbered plastics
- Used paper towels or tissues
- Wax-coated paper
- Wet papers or cardboard
- Windows, mirrors, ceramics
**Visit the LCSWMA website (FAQs) for information on disposing of medications, needles, other medical waste, and electronics. Call them at (717) 397-9968 or download the Residents Guide to Recycling & Waste Disposal.
If you have materials that you think may be recyclable that Lancaster Township does not pick up curbside, please visit http://earth911.com/recycling/ for disposal information.