1120 Marietta Avenue – Established 1828
For 20 years, “Wheatland“ was the beloved home of the 15th President of the United States, James Buchanan. Buchanan developed a deep affection for Wheatland, and enjoyed the luxuries and peacefulness of the home during the difficulties of public life. The mansion also served as the Democratic headquarters during the 1856 presidential campaign. Buchanan gave his first campaign address to the townspeople gathered on the front lawn.
During his presidency, Buchanan returned to Wheatland sporadically. He retired to Wheatland in 1861, after the election of Abraham Lincoln and the end of his term as President. Buchanan died at Wheatland in a room on the second floor on June 1, 1868.
Wheatland is a two and one-half story, five bay brick Federal house, central entry with fanlight and hipped roof portico, Flemish bond brickwork, classical Revival style window over the doorway, flanking brick wings with similar windows and shed roofs. The home was built in 1828 for local lawyer William Jenkins. It was sold in 1841 to William M. Meredith, and changed hands again in 1848 when it was purchased by U.S. President James Buchanan.
The interior of Wheatland is furnished as it would have been in the mid-19th Century, with most of the furniture being original to the house. As Wheatland has never been significantly altered or remodeled, other than the installation of modern lighting and heating, it provides an accurate view of the lifestyle in the Victorian era.