1000 block of Wheatland Avenue – Established 1893
The “Williamson Carriage House” is a one and one-half story stone carriage house, half timbered gables, porte cochere on southern end, two bowed windows on second floor. It accompanied the Williamson Mansion which was demolished in the 1970s to make room for an apartment complex. It was designed by James H. Warner, and built by Herman Wohlsen for Lancaster merchant Henry Stackhouse Williamson.
He was born of English Quaker ancestry on February 27, 1853 in Morrisville, Bucks County, PA. After finishing high school, Henry began a merchandising career in the clothing business in Wilmington, Delaware. Later, in partnership with a friend, he opened his own business in Harrisburg. With the success of that business, he then established a store in Lancaster. His partner withdrew from the business a few short years later. With two stores being a burden on his health, Henry sold the Harrisburg store. The Williamson department store was a continued success, and Henry eventually sold it to his former partner and another individual.
He founded The Recreation Commission, leading to the free playgrounds of Lancaster. He was President of the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce, a trustee at Franklin and Marshall College, and a director at Stevens Trade School. Henry still lived in Lancaster and was 64 years old when he died on May 20, 1917.