1501 East King Street – Circa 1790’s
An inn was first constructed at this location in 1741. Witmer’s Tavern, now the Conestoga Restaurant and Bar, was established by Abraham Witmer after the Revolutionary War. The name and owners changed many times, but the name Conestoga Inn was used most often.
It is a two and one-half story, six bay stone tavern, now covered with formstone, replacement sash, and non-original pent roof. It was a major stopping place from Philadelphia to Lancaster. Abraham Witmer also built a stone arch bridge across the Conestoga River.