Household Hazardous Waste
Lancaster County Solid Waste Management Authority
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
1299 Harrisburg Pike
There is no charge for the following materials:*
- Automotive fluids (5 gallon container max)
- Batteries, including automotive and household
- Chemistry sets
- Cooking and frying oils (5 gallon container max)
- Covered devices: desktop computers, laptops, monitors, computer peripherals (keyboard, mouse, printer and speakers), televisions and e-readers. Limit of 10 total covered devices per customer, per day.
- E-waste: photo cameras, video cameras, cell phones and smart phones, cell phone peripherals (chargers, batteries, Bluetooth earpiece, air cards, clips, cases), DVD and VCR players, MP3 players and iPods, PDA’s, portable electronic game players, video game consoles, stereos and stereo peripherals (CD players, turntables, amplifiers, speakers). No wooden speakers. Limit of 10 total e-waste items per customer, per day.
- Fire extinguishers
- Floor and furniture polish
- Fuel, including kerosene, gasoline and propane
- Household cleaners
- Lawn treatments, including herbicides and pesticides
- Mercury containing items (max of 30 per month), including ballasts, fluorescent bulbs, thermostats and thermometers
- Paint, rust inhibitors, stains, turpentine and thinners (empty containers, from paint and other items that previously contained liquids, are not accepted and may be disposed of as regular trash.)
- Photographic and pool chemicals
*Only the items listed above are accepted at the HHW facility free of charge. All other materials, including appliances, are considered trash, and may be disposed of at the HHW facility for a fee.
The facility does not accept explosives and ammunition. Call (717) 397-9968 for special instructions on how to handle these wastes.