Animal Control

REGULATIONS pertaining to DOGS are outlined under the Lancaster Township Ordinance No. 02 of 1992 ….. Click here for details. Call the police non-emergency number (717) 664-1180 for a persistent nuisance barking dog or a vicious dog.

Dog License:  Contact Lancaster County Treasurer’s Office at (717) 299-8222 or

If there is an active crime or abuse in progress – Dial 9 1 1. In Lancaster Township, if there is no active crime or abuse in progress, call the police non-emergency number (717) 664-1180 to make a report.

To report suspected animal cruelty in LANCASTER COUNTY, PA:
  • Contact the local municipal police department where the incident occurred, OR
  • Call the PA State Police – Lancaster County barracks #:  (717) 299-7650,  OR
  • Send an email to the Lancaster County District Attorney’s Tipline at or call (717) 299-8100. Important: The tipline does not offer immediate assistance or response. For immediate response, call 9 1 1.

The Pennsylvania SPCA has a tipline:

For tips involving large animals, contact Christine Stull at LAPS (Large Animal Protection Society) - (610) 869-9880.

By law, the township public works crew is not permitted to pick up or dispose of dead deer. Residents should report dead deer directly to the office that serves the county where the animal is located, and provide the exact location to aide in the retrieval efforts:

On a “township road”—Contact the PA Game Commission Southeast Regional Office at (610) 926-3136 or (610) 926-3137. The Southeast Regional Office serves Lancaster County.

On a “state road/highway”—Contact PennDOT at (717) 299-7621 or (800) 349-7623. The following roads in Lancaster Township are State Roads:
  • Columbia Avenue
  • East King Street
  • East Orange Street
  • Marietta Avenue
  • Millersville Pike
  • Millersville Road
  • New Danville Pike
  • Riverside Avenue
  • Wabank Road
The township public works crew is also not responsible for the saving, trapping, pickup, or disposal of animals such as—Birds, Squirrels, Rabbits, Skunks, Raccoons, Groundhogs, Reptiles, Mice, Bats, etc. The following contacts are being provided strictly as an informational resource and are not endorsed by the township:

Raven Ridge Wildlife Center
Acorn Acres Wildlife Rehab
  • Rehab specializing in squirrels, bunnies, woodchucks
  • Ph:  (717) 327-4811
  • Website:
PA Assoc. of Wildlife Rehabilitators
  • For a list of contacts throughout various counties, go to the website: